Village Agent Role Description
The Village Agent role is to:
- Commit to giving a few hours per week on a flexible basis volunteering in your local community
- Provide information and sign-posting to older people that is accurate, easy to understand and up-to-date.
- Utilise the Age Concern Hampshire Information & Advice Team, as well as other accurate resources, to provide the best possible information to the older people living in their community.
- Directly engage with older people in a friendly, courteous manner
- Respond to enquiries from community members in a prompt and considerate manner, keeping requests and conversations confidential where appropriate.
- Report on activities undertaken as a Village Agent and outcomes from the community on a monthly basis, and complete wellbeing questionnaires with clients to demonstrate the success of the project.
- Provide Home Fire Safety visits on behalf of Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service to deliver safety advice and support, or to signpost to Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service if appropriate.
- Attend training, attend team meetings, support and supervision sessions and liaise regularly with the Village Agent Co-ordinator.
- Adhere to all Age Concern Hampshire’s policies and procedures.
- Be representative of Age Concern Hampshire when performing the role of Village Agent and to therefore have a good understanding of the wider services Age Concern Hampshire provides (full support and training given by Village Agent co-ordinator)
- To claim out of pocket expenses (i.e. travel) on the form provided.
- To contact the Village Agent co –ordinator if you feel there is an emergency situation or any other concerns for the safety of older persons you may meet
Village Agent Person Specification
Essential Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with a range of people and organisations such as older people, carers, relatives, and professionals.
- Willingness to work with people from all social and economic backgrounds.
- Strong time and task management and ability to prioritise your own workload.
- Ability to prepare and submit reports on your activity for the Village Agent Coordinator.
- Owner Driver (expenses paid).
- Computer literacy.
- An appreciation for confidentiality requirements and the importance of data protection.
- Willingness to submit to an enhanced DBS check.
Desirable Skills and Abilities
- Previous experience of working with older people.
- Previous experience as a volunteer in your community.
- An understanding of issues relating to equalities.
- Knowledge of resources, information about groups, services and activities to support older people’s independence and well-being.
Our Commitment to You:
- We will provide ongoing support through Age Concern Hampshire’s Information & Advice Team.
- We will ensure that appropriate training is provided at regular intervals that is relevant to the Village Agent Volunteer role.
- We will aim to keep all Village Agent Volunteers abreast of common issues relevant to Older People in Hampshire through a regular newsletter and the Age Concern Hampshire website and Facebook page.
- We will provide ongoing promotion and publicity for Village Agents through various avenues and events.
- We will ensure to the best of our ability that all Village Agent volunteers feel valued and supported.
Village Agent Recruitment Areas:
We are looking for Village Agents in rural areas across the county. Please get in touch to find out if we are recruiting in your area!
If you would like to become a Village Agent please contact Anne Harrison on 01962 892443 or via freephone 0800 328 7154 or complete the application form and return as an attachment to email@example.com
Back to Volunteering