An exciting opportunity has arisen to join our organisation. We are committed to promoting independent living to over-50s; providing day care and wellbeing services, information and advice, to thousands of people each year ensuring that older people, their carers and families achieve the very best quality of life.
Location: Basingstoke area
Hours: 14 hours per week (can be worked flexibly)
Salary: £7,793.15 (£20,596.19 FTE)
We are seeking an Information and Advice Outreach Worker to provide outreach support to older people in the district of Basingstoke and Deane and adjacent areas, primarily through a home visit service.To support other staff in growing the capacity of our home visiting and locality based volunteer services in the area through mentoring and training.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the following areas:
- Support clients through a home visiting service to support them in claiming the benefits and pensions to which they are entitled.
- Complete benefit forms and monitor their progress through the system.
- Signpost to services that may prevent social isolation and loneliness and also delay the need for permanent and long term care.
- Work closely with the Well-being and Information Co-ordinator (who is based in the Basingstoke Office) to ensure time available is maximised and some cover is in place on non-work days.
- To support ACH well-being activities in the Basingstoke and Deane district.
- Ensure volunteer support is maximised.
- To deliver talks and attend external events to promote both our outreach activity and the organisations local and wider services.
- Work with partner organisations to strengthen our working relationships and develop more comprehensive services for our clients, for example through the delivery of occasional legal advice clinics.
- Ensure relevant information relating to inquiries is accurately recorded, and monitoring reports are produced in a timely manner and in accordance with Service Level Agreements.
- To support the recruitment, training and motivation of volunteers to increase the capacity of the organisation to conduct home visits
- To attend meetings, training and update events as required.
To be successful in the role you will have the following skills/experience:
- Experience of providing information and advice
- Experience of mentoring and training
- An understanding of the difficulties faced by older people and a commitment to supporting them to overcome them.
- IT literate with sound working knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Explorer
- A current driving licence and use of a car for work purposes.
- Ability to work and liaise with other organisations representing the interests of Age Concern Hampshire.
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to mentor and motivate volunteers, demonstrate strong empathy with service users, and work effectively with other staff
- Competent written skills able to draft reports and write clearly
- Ability to keep up to date with issues affecting older people able to keep abreast of legislative changes, benefits and pensions rights, and written communications in general.
- Ability to identify the needs of clients and their carers. Able to understand when sign posting is appropriate and when referral to a third party is needed
- Ability to plan, record and organise work appropriately and the ability to set and work to clear targets
- Ability to work both as part of a team and independently on own initiative.
- Well-developed organisation and administration skills.
- Understanding of the issues and needs affecting older people and their carers
- Understanding of services available to older people from statutory, voluntary and private providers in Hampshire
- Knowledge of the statutory UK framework of benefits and pensions for individuals and the financial support available from charities
- Commitment to and ability to work towards the Vision, Mission and Values of Age Concern Hampshire
For a full job description and person spec click here
If you have the skills and experience for this role and wish to apply, please download our application form and email to email@example.com or post to Human Resources Department, Age Concern Hampshire Lockswood Day Care Centre, Centre Way, Locks Heath SO31 6DX or call 01962 868545 if you have any further questions.
Closing Date: 22 October 2019
Interview Date: to be confirmed
All job offers are subject to evidence of Right to Work in the UK, an enhanced DBS disclosure and satisfactory references.